The big share today seems to be the Jimmy Kimmel tricking people at Coachella video “Lie Witness News- Coachella 2013”
The hipsters attending are asked about a fake band and we get to see their moronic reaction. But is that really what we are seeing?
Anyone with any sort of production background immediately sees and hears some hints that the trick is on us, not on the people being interviewed.
Jimmy begins by explaining that “We asked them about a bunch of bands whose names we made up.”
We then cut to 2 girls who are asked about “Dr Schlomo and the GI Clinic” The girls nod there heads “They’re amazing”
But what got my attention isn’t their answer- it’s that clearly they are not actually being asked about this band. The interviewers questions are all done in post.
Listen to the interviewer again, it is very clear, she doesn’t sound at all like she is there in the moment.
How can I tell - a few simple ways:
- Her voice is very clear, it doesn’t sound like she is even in the same place.
- Her mic never moves. She could have had a lav on but the sound would still not be that clear. Man on the street is always back and forth mic.
- The way her hand is when she talks doesn’t move. We all move our hands in someway or another. This is oddly static asking questions or not.
- The angle of the camera is the big give away. It’s an odd angle for a man in the street interview and the first thing that struck me. We never see the interviewer and we always have this hand there, that doesn’t really move when the girl talks.
- The people being interviewed never repeat the name of the band.
I would like to give Kimmel’s producers credit for turning the trick on us “Aren’t they dumb” becomes “Aren’t we dumb” when we all realize we were duped- but it doesn’t seem like this is what they were going for based on Jimmy’s intro.
While Coachella has turned from a premiere music festival into a big VIP party for brands, you still should understand, it’s not the people being interviewed that are the dumb ones here.
Now, they certainly could have had to do ADR in post after since she didn’t move her mic and sound wasn’t picking her up- so in that case I’m the dumb one.
Think before you share. Production knowledge will always be your friend. (or something corny like that)